If you spend a lot of time sitting, then you're in good company. Many people find that neck pain goes hand in hand with being in a seated position more and more in the modern world. If you are like the average person, then the following sequence of activities, leading to neck pain, will probably be familiar:
- you get up in the morning (without really paying much attention to stretching)
- then you sit down to have breakfast, followed by
- sitting on a train, or in the car, whilst commuting
- eventually you get to work and sit you some more at a desk or PC
- once the working day is over, you sit on your journey home
- at home, you sit down to have dinner or watch T.V. then off to bed (Not to mention the countless times we may slump our heads forward whilst texting!)
What you may not know, is that your head weighs 12-14lbs. It's therefore not surprising that neck pain results from stresses and strains of supporting this weight! If you hold your head in the forward position over a long period of time then the muscles and ligaments adapt, leading to discrepancies in the curve of the neck. In turn, this then leads to joint dysfunction and stiffness, which is where a lot of neck pain symptoms begin.
Neck Pain in Children
Neck pain in children is unfortunately becoming more and more common. Your children may be more at risk of neck pain as their heads are larger, in proportion to their bodies, than in an adult. Our modern lifestyle, where children frequently use a phone and PC may put them at a higher risk of developing functional problems and neck pain later on in life.
Neck Pain – Chiropractic Treatment
Our approach to neck pain involves one or more of the following:
- Manipulation/mobilisation of the neck joints
- Advice on posture and healthy lifestyle choices that affect your pain
- Demonstration of appropriate exercises